Monday, May 8, 2017

ARE YOU A VINTAGE SEWING MACHINE ADDICT?


I thought I already created my blog as "My Favorite Vintage Sewing Machines. blogspot.com, but apparently, what I really did, was name only one of the posts in my blog, that name!

(top photo Babylock Evolve Serger with jet air threading, & 8 threads, coverstitch, chainstitch as well as overlock, flatlock, rolled edge, & many other special stitches, & before I had to sell it, to pay medical bills for NF2, my Bernina 930, that had the presser foot lifter bar, to raise the presser foot without having to use your hands, like when quilting, or turning corners. It had the "heel tap needle up/down" feature, as well, & many other fabulous features, you will see in my blogs, as well as my eBay guides & reviews.

(Below- Bernina 830, used the fabulous Bernina darning ring to help me do a better job of darning my hubby's t shirt. Always remember to use a ball point needle, or a knits needle, when sewing knits, to avoid cutting the threads, otherwise each stitch can cause a tear & run in the fabric.)


To see the blog I actually created to be with this name, go to

http://tumorfarmer.blogspot.com/

I prefer all metal machines, but will fix up even part plastic machines, particularly if they are just a plastic case on the outside of the machine, & the rest of the machine is in good enough functional condition, to be serviced, repaired, & put back to work! You will find that I mostly love my very old metal sewing machines, particularly if they are in special cases, or gorgeous, or even just practical tables, or are great portables. Some of the Necchis & Kenmores are great sewing machines, too!


VIDEOS- I have also created several sewing videos, showing how to use various sewing machines, on Youtube, & have links to those Youtube videos, posted in the blogs about that specific model, or brand of sewing machines.

I WILL be making more videos & posts about my vintage sewing machines, as I fix up, sew with, & otherwise enjoy my vintage sewing machines, they have added a lot of fun, friendship (lots of online sewing buddies), to my life, & even give me an opportunity to help other people!

(Below Bernina 532, or 530-2, which had the built in automatic 4 or 5 step buttonhole feature. Freearm came with fabulous hard plastic 3 drawer accessory & thread drawer set, which hooks onto the tall thread post, on the rear of the machine. An extension table could be used for a larger work surface, it included the great darning ring, which attaches to the machine bed, for better, more even darning & embroidery, as well as many specialized presser feet, which can be switched in only 3 seconds, & each have a specially formed foot, to make specialty sewing like rolled hems, buttonholes, darning, embroidery, zigzag stitches, blind hemmer, pin tucks, cording & braiding feet.

If you would like to see some of the reviews & guides I have written on Ebay, for & about sewing machines, both home sewing machines, & some industrial sewing machines, do a search for "Uptite1 guides", on Ebay, or "Uptite1 reviews eBay".


Below- Singer 15-88 treadle sewing machine, also considered a 15-89, because it does have a motor added to the back, but it needs rewired, & I prefer using it as a treadle, so I haven't bothered to wire it, lol! I LOVE this machine, it was my very first treadle sewing machine, that I figured out how to get the belt, fix it, fix the sunbleached & warped sewing table, as well as service & fix the class 15-88 sewing machine. Luckily, I had a manual & feet to fit it, so it was easy to learn how to fix & lubricate the treadle mechanism, as well as buying the belt, cutting it to length, & affixing it to the machine & table.

Vintage Singer Fashion Aids Cases are pretty rare, & sell for anywhere from $25 to $900, sometimes over $1,000.00 depending on how many attachments & accessories are in them, & if they have many RARE attachments & feet, they can go over $1,500!!!!!


Below, Singer 101 with the unique self oiling wicking system, under the bedplate.


VINTAGE SEWING MACHINE MUSEUM - if you are very interested in vintage sewing machines, how to clean, fix, & use them, as well as their history, & really enjoy seeing photos of them, friend Wk Binger on Facebook, let him that Becky Rice Ware told you about his starting the museum, in Tulsa, Oklahoma, he shares photos of the machines he is collecting, asks for help, as well as sharing ideas & tips, on how he is getting machines ready for the museum, which he hopes to make a "Sit & Sew" vacation spot, for vintage sewing machine lovers & collectors!

DID YOU KNOW THAT TREADLE SEWING MACHINES SEW FASTER THAN MOST NEW PLASTIC SEWING MACHINES? Seriously! I will be writing more blog posts about them, soon, with photos.

Singer 127 VS, the first treadle Vibrating Shuttle that I fixed up & got sewing & saved the cabinet! I gave it to a dear friend from church, who always wanted one, & has 8 kids to sew for, she reminds me of my mom, who raised 15 kids, sewing for all of us, as well as her clothes, & sometimes, even Dad's 3 piece suits, since he was a lawyer! I also gave my friend a Babylock 5260 Serger sewing machine, it didn't have differential feed, but was a GREAT little serger, (I prefer one with the Differential Feed) it was fun to see that she sewed easter outfits for her 8 kids, for church & photos! I planned to keep these machines, originally, but my hubby suddenly brought home 3 more treadle tables with machines, that needed somewhere to go, & since I like to have at least a walkway in our home, I couldn't keep them all. People tear apart, or throw away treadle sewing machines & tables all the time, which drives me kind of crazy, so if we can salvage them (usually we do have to buy them), we like to fix them back up to sewing condition, particularly as there are more & more people starting to discover the joys of treadling, & hand crank sewing, particularly since these machines are so SMOOTH, & QUIET, it is actually RELAXING, to treadle! One online sewing friend actually free motion quilts on vintage sewing machines, sometimes using leather, canvas, even worn out denim jeans, sews them into gorgeous bags, & sells them on ETSY, sometimes for over $150 a bag, but they are WORTH IT! If you want to see some incredible work, done on a treadle, he also makes videos of him sewing them! Check out his Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=tim%20latimer



2 comments:

My Favorite Vintage Sewing Machine blog has moved to my "Vintage Sewing Machine" blog

Sears Kenmore 158.950 in front of the sage green boxes of cams & attachments, monogrammers and buttonholers for various Sears Kenmore ...